Essential Oils are believed to help an individual to relieve stress. However, this 24-year-old girl experienced the opposite way.
Emily Smith shared her experience with oil diffuser and wanted to warn others to be careful in using them.
From her home in London, she was diffusing a blend of undiluted patchoili oil to destress. When suddenly she felt something with her skin like it’s stingy and hot. So she ran her face under tap water for 10 minutes and she even soaked her face for another 20 minutes.
But the pain doesn’t go away so she called 111 emergency (UK’s version of America’s 911) and addressed her feeling and said she got a first-degree burn and does not need to go to emergency room.
However, she felt that it’s getting worse and her face swollen, she was having a watery and blurry eyes, her skin was producing puss and that’s when she decided to went to the emergency room.
After 12 hours, doctors diagnosed that she had a chemical burn.
Experts says, essential oils can definitely cause chemical burns. It is advisable to contact physician when your skin comes in contact with oils and when you start experiencing reactions from it because chemical burns can be very serious.
Below is Emily’s post:
“In the process of turning the appliance off, some of the vapor from the diffuser must have sprayed onto my face. But I didn’t think anything of this. I discovered the real danger of these essential oils, and realized that when the diffuser had sprayed onto me, essential oils had soaked onto my face and eyes and remained there. When exposed to the fire, these had a chemical reaction and ‘ignited.’ Had I realized this earlier, I might have been given priority at the hospital, and treated faster.”